Thursday, April 22

Anne's dress with puffy sleeves

I saw this dress in a catalog after Valentine's day and wanted it SO MUCH for Kara's Easter dress. Only, I wanted to make it-- because it cost $198 + S&H & vat tax.

image from Chasing Fireflies




I furiously worked and finished Kara's Easter dress a few days before Easter. But, (excuse the bragging) I did not have a pattern. I only had a catalog picture of this dress-- I ripped out the image and took a dress of Kara's from last year, traced a few guidelines and came up with this:



detail of the outer organza, all done on the 40 year old elna.


The peach grove blossoms are in full proliferation behind our house, so I didn't mind if I did...


image Not found in Chasing Fireflies



(The dress' zipper may or may not be sewn in with the zipper pull on the inside of the dress.)




You just can't be all that exuberant about the little boy's Easter apparel. Even if he is such a little handsome handful.


But this girl cracks me up! She can't keep quiet even for a second. Constant jabber & prattling on about the day: Sydney's top two teeth are also loose but since she's almost a year older than me they should've already fallen out but now's she's going to be jealous if mine is out first. So I want to wait to take my tooth out.
And I still am mad at Mary (in the little house books) for saying golden hair is better than brown hair. I think that is so mean! They're both beautiful, one is not really better than the other, they're just different.
And guess what's weird? Butterflies really are soft like butter!
I think Isaac really does have two mothers! Because if he is crying and I pick him up he'll stop for me but it is only as long as I hold him. And why does it say "Help mothers on their way" at the end of the song "He sent his son?" (it really says, "help others on their way").



She told me not to pull her hair so tight anymore when I do low ponytails because yesterday she couldn't look down to color her picture in school because it hurt the back of her neck. And she had to look down with just her eyes and keep the picture WAY out in front of her with her elbows not even bent, ("like this") "and the picture was so sloppy that I didn't even want to turn it in."

(sometimes she gives me the headache.)


6 comments:

Karina Bitting said...

Oh My Goodness Rebecca!!! You are the mother of all mothers! You can just whip up 2 Easter dresses (yours is cute too) and make isaac an outfit too!!! Man the apple sure didn't fall too far from the tree (I think that's the saying...) anyhoo.. If I have a daughter... ahem... WHEN I have a daughter (and she will come, hopefully soon) you have to teach me all your "skills and tricks"! I want to make some fru-fraw too!
And Isaac is so darn cute!! I want to squeeze his chubby arms and cheeks so bad!!!

Alisha said...

Arrrr! I'm so jealous! I have always (well since I became a mother), wanted to take a picture of my daughter in her Easter dress set against pink tree blossoms. And even better if I had made the dress myself. I will try and be happy for you.

You look pretty fantastic yourself. (skinny!)
Cute shoes.

Alisha said...

oh, and your daughter looks a ton like you. Even her expressions.

Karina Bitting said...

Becky, this is MOM - We are at Karina's and can't I log in as myself on her computer,(I really tried) so here goes on her comment. And, I will be seeing you on Monday probably, as I am staying up here and helping Mickenzie with her YW quilt on Wednesday night. and Dad will be back on Thursday a.m.

Man, what a cute dress, and the girl in it is exceedingly cute. So is Isaac. Do the boys even care about Eastera? You are lucky you don't have to make more than one of those. Great job. Mom

Janalee said...

Words cannot express. This is like straight of of Little House on the Prairie where mom's would trace the dresses of the fancy store-bought dresses to make likewise dresses for their daughters. I'm so proud of my little Beckingston!

Kemble Family said...

Well! I would like to comment on little Isaac's hair. I thought I was the only one in the family entitled to have a baby with "stick up" hair. Consider yourself lucky!!! I think he really belongs at my house :) He is very cute. Kiss his forehead for me, k? And cheeks, too! And please admire him while he is sleeping in your arms. These are days you will miss.